Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myALZteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Bakersfield, CA

My mom who is in moderate stages Alzheimer’s, has a Cocker Spaniel. She is obsessed with the dog. She does everything based on the dog. She doesn’t want to leave the house unless the TV is on, a blanket is fluffed in the chair for the dog and all doors are locked. It’s maddening!! She picks up her poop bare handed and tries to get the dog to go with her to flush it down the toilet! Growing up we always had a “ pooper scooper” and it never went in the toilet. I took her away for a few days to… read more

March 30, 2019
 · 
Reactions
A myALZteam Member

Yes it's normal.. the dog is her constant point of reference.

April 11, 2019
A myALZteam Member

My mom is always anxious until she knows where her dog is. She is constantly talking to her, trying to feed her and folding blankets to put on the couch for her. When I bring my mom to my house she will repeatedly ask if the house is locked so the dog is safe. She even calls me by the dogs name.

April 6, 2019
A myALZteam Member

Our cat has never had it so good!
I also have a problem with my husband picking up poop bare handed. I have to keep on my toes and beat him to poop cleaning.

April 3, 2019
A myALZteam Member

I have heard of this behaviour with pets. I think obsessions and repetitive behaviours are quite common in dementia generally.

April 3, 2019
A myALZteam Member

Thank you so much. I am a total animal lover but she is so obsessed it makes it hard. I worry that the dog will trip either my mom or dad and neither is in good health.

March 30, 2019

Related Questions

View All