Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myALZteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Bideford, UK

Mum was diagnosed with dementia and alzheimer's 2 years ago go after two quite bad falls we decided to move a room with us . I am 61 have up my job to look after her full time. Previously I was her carer daily part-time.and able to keep my job.. so I gave up my job but the Alzheimer's has got quite severe and mum is getting more and more confused.. in that two year I lost my son unexpectedly..and I found it very hard..but I continue to do my best..it's extremely difficult at times to keep my… read more

June 25, 2020
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members connected deeply over the emotional and physical toll of caregiving for loved ones with dementia, with many sharing their own... Read more

Members connected deeply over the emotional and physical toll of caregiving for loved ones with dementia, with many sharing their own struggles of balancing care with their own health, finances, and sense of self. Several members offered practical suggestions for Kate's situation, including exploring employment at a care home in roles like kitchen or laundry staff where her caregiving experience would be valued, or finding ways to earn income from home through skills like sewing or crafts. A recurring theme was the importance of recognizing when caregiver burnout threatens one's own wellbeing, with members acknowledging that choosing a care home is not failure but rather an act of love and self-preservation when the physical and emotional demands become too great.

A myALZteam Member

Do you have any talents that will allow you to earn money from home do you knit crochet embroider or quilt do you see or do alterations I have a friend that suppliments her as check in that manner

July 9, 2020
A myALZteam Member

Yes I see that I'll give it some thought .thank you

June 27, 2020
A myALZteam Member

I wasn't thinking hands on Kate as I sensed that would not be your job choice but felt you would bring an understanding to other areas of a care home.

June 27, 2020
A myALZteam Member

I'm wondering if, should mum go into care, you've considered applying for a kitchen or laundry position at a nearby care home....your experience caring for mum would be a plus to an employer and your interactions with residents would be knowledgeable and comfortable. My nursing career had roots many years ago in my first job as a health care aide in LTC.
PS...welcome to this caring group...hope support and info are helpful.

June 26, 2020 (edited)
A myALZteam Member

Hi Kate...nice to meet you and welcome to this caring group. Please fill out Story part of your Profile...not sure what work you did in past but may have some ideas if mum needs to go to care home. So sad to hear your son died.

June 25, 2020

Related Questions

View All
A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Bath, UK

A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Huntingdon, UK

A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Montreal, QC

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In