Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myALZteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭

I'm POA. United Healthcare sent a form about veteran status. Do I have to fill that out? He does have VA health care, which is a question, because he gets disability money (so I've been told that means he has VA health care and I guess that's right). What is this form and do I fill it out? I can't mess up insurance and United Healthcare keeps refusing to talk to me even though we've called to put me on the account they always say I'm not. I'm freaked out cause I don't want to mess up coverage… read more

4 days ago (edited)
 · 
Be the first to react
myALZteam

It's completely understandable to feel stressed about this — insurance paperwork can be overwhelming, especially when you're already managing so much as a POA caregiver.

That form from United Healthcare is most likely a Coordination of Benefits (COB) questionnaire. Insurers send these to find out if a member has other Show Full Answer

It's completely understandable to feel stressed about this — insurance paperwork can be overwhelming, especially when you're already managing so much as a POA caregiver.

That form from United Healthcare is most likely a Coordination of Benefits (COB) questionnaire. Insurers send these to find out if a member has other health coverage (like VA benefits), so they can figure out which plan pays first. It's routine, but it does need to be filled out.

Here's what's important to know:

- Yes, it should be filled out. Ignoring it can actually cause claims to be delayed or denied, which is the opposite of what you want.
- VA disability payments do not automatically mean he has VA health care. These are two separate VA programs. It's worth confirming whether he is actually enrolled in VA health care.
- If he does have VA health care, United Healthcare needs to know so coverage is coordinated correctly.

Regarding UHC not recognizing you as POA — this is a common and frustrating problem. To fix it:

1. Send them a copy of the POA document in writing (fax or certified mail) to their member services address.
2. Ask for a case reference number every time you call.
3. Request a supervisor if front-line agents keep saying you're not on the account.

You are doing the right thing by taking this seriously. Don't ignore the form — fill it out honestly based on what you know about his VA enrollment status, and keep a copy for your records.

4 days ago

Related Questions

View All
A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Seanor, PA

A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Greenfield, WI