First, receiving a diagnosis like this is a lot to take in — for both of you. It's completely okay to have questions, and it's great that you're already looking into treatment options.
Both Leqembi (lecanemab) and Kisunla (donanemab) are FDA-approved medications for Alzheimer's in its early stages — mild cognitive Show Full Answer
First, receiving a diagnosis like this is a lot to take in — for both of you. It's completely okay to have questions, and it's great that you're already looking into treatment options.
Both Leqembi (lecanemab) and Kisunla (donanemab) are FDA-approved medications for Alzheimer's in its early stages — mild cognitive impairment or mild dementia. They work by targeting and reducing amyloid plaques in the brain, which are believed to drive the disease's progression. Here are some key things to know about these treatments:
- Who they're for: They're intended for people in the early stages of Alzheimer's, so timing matters
- Confirming eligibility: A PET scan or spinal fluid test is needed to confirm amyloid buildup before starting
- Genetic testing: An ApoE4 gene test is recommended beforehand, as it affects the risk of side effects
- Ongoing monitoring: Regular brain MRIs are required during treatment to watch for side effects
- Main risk: Both carry a risk of brain swelling or small bleeds (called ARIA), which is usually manageable but can occasionally be serious The encouraging news is that long-term studies show the benefits of these treatments appear to grow over time. People who started treatment early had a notably lower risk of progressing to the next stage.
A neurologist is the best person to guide this decision based on your wife's specific stage, test results, and overall health. It's worth asking about both options at the next appointment.
September 23
@A myALZteam Member, I'm adding you to my team. I have Alzheimer's & I have been in the Lecanumab/Lequimbi drug trial over 2 years. It has recently been approved so it's available without a drug trial. We feel it is working for me. I was told I should be in a nursing home by now, but the drug trial works for me. I still do my own laundry. I do word search & jigsaw puzzles every day. I'm still highly active.
Mentioned Users
A myALZte...
September 28
I am newly diagnosed, 70 years old and still completely independent. I plan to begin anti-amyloid infusions with Lecanomab soon. According to my neurologists, it has more benefit for women. I've also read numerous reports about people doing quite well on it. Some even being told they can stop treatment early brebaje all of the amyloid has been removed.
September 28