Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myALZteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Arvada, CO

Other than saying "I'm fine" how do you caregivers answer the question how are you doing. I feel like nobody really wants to know, they are just trying to connect with me.

September 24, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A myALZteam Member

My usual answer is “I’m here” or “I’m surviving “. Hubs used to always say ”can’t complain, no one would listen”. They all kind of work these days.

September 24, 2023
A myALZteam Member

I usually answer “I am ok , “ sometimes I add “ but not that good “ or “ it’s about the same” .. it depends on who asks… to my family , I say exactly how I am, so they know ..If I am down , they are the ones who have to step up and care for my husband .

September 24, 2023
A myALZteam Member

I always said I was doing OK, no matter what was going on. (I was VERY fortunate that my husband was pretty mellow, except at the very end.) I always asked people to keep me in their prayers.

I believe that our friends have a genuine concern for us as caregivers when they ask how we are. We need to be honest about how we are, and ask for help if we need it…and that is easier said than done!

September 24, 2023
A myALZteam Member

So then we have a happy world of people with alz and caregivers There are a few words I would say but .... let it rip

September 24, 2023
A myALZteam Member

It is OK to say, I am struggling, or this is tough, or, I need a break, etc. AND, share what goes on in your day! Family and friends need to get real info! Many will offer to help.
Genuine responses are also cathartic for YOU! Caregivers is TOUGH!
HUGS!

September 24, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Fergus Falls, MN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In