My mother remembers the good times in the past but she always thinks these special times were spent with either my deceased brother or sister - instead it was with ME.
It hurts me deeply that she has no memories of me doing anything special with her. When she shares a happy story, I tell her that I was with her & not my brother, or that I actually organised her surprise party and it was held at my house, etc. Mum just says, "oh, really - I don't remember". But she remembers the good times… read more
One thing that maybe good to understand is she always has felt safe with you, trusting you, and knowing you do love her. Yet not acknowledging it to you, which a servants heart often needs to be acknowledged. By letting others cross her boundaries and take advantage of her, she wanted to get their love, by giving them what they wanted, even if it meant not loving her well. It is best you remember what she was to you as mother and how she loved you well as a daughter as to help make you a giving person. Read some books on boundaries, a good one is by Cloud and Townsends , Beyond Boundaries.
Blessings,
Tricia
Once my dad who diagnose with Alzheimer's Dementia in September of 2012, I did not know that much about the disease when my dad was diagnose, since I was my dad's caregiver, I had to learn all about Alzheimer's Dementia. So, I went to seminars, asked the doctors questions, and read articles on the disease. However, it did not help me with the reality of what was to come. What was the hardest for me to handle was: 1) My dad was bedridden the last 2 1/2 years of his life because of Alzheimer's. To see my dad's body being only skin and bones was very hard for me, but I did not let it show in front of my dad. 2) Alzheimer's eventually took away my dad's appetite. I would get calls from the nursing home telling me that my dad refuses to eat. So, I would go to the nursing home and try to get him to eat. 3) Alzheimer's cause a person to be combative. This was the hardest because even though my dad was bedridden, he still was very verbal combative at times. My dad was a Christian, but Alzheimer's made him say things that he never would say, for instant profanity. I remember one time my dad was in the hospital and the nurses came in to change his bed sheets. I dad got so irate that he was saying some horrible things to the nurses. So, I left his room I started to cry, looked up to the sky, and said "I want my dad back." My dad passed away at 4:09 a.m. on Friday, September 4, 2015, due to Dementia. How did I learn to deal with this horrible disease? By keeping my faith in God, and let God help me through it.
I call Dementia the "silent killer." Why? Because the person who has the disease does not know that they are slowly dying.
It is so hard I feel like that with my husband sometimes but he does not want anyone else to come stay with him. It’s like you do everything for them and no appreciation for it. He can still fix eggs and sausage for breakfast once in a while and he washes dishes but not always perfect. I try to keep him busy. He used to do woodworking but it is too dangerous now. I would try antidepressants and therapy. I had to. It helped. It is just a terrible horrible disease.
Thank you everyone ♥️ each msg has been really helpful. I needed to release my deep frustration so I appreciate your replies. Wishing you all a happy & safe New Year 🙏
Prayers for you for peace. I would recommend a therapist. She has helped me so much. God bless.