Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myALZteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I keep her nails trimmed, in hopes of minimizing the damage to her skin. She picks at her arms, her chest, her stomach, and her hips....and has scabs/scars all over. It's terrible. I've tried bandages (small, large, and in between), long sleeves, lotions, anti-itch creams, liquid bandages, oral medications (in case it's related to itching---Claritin, Zyrtec, Vistaril).....all with no improvement. She won't keep gloves or mittens on, so that's not an option
Has anybody else dealt with… read more

March 13, 2021
 · 
Reactions
A myALZteam Member

My mother picked at herself and was on blood thinners so it was a bloody mess. My husband went to the burn center at the hospital and got tub a grip that covered her arms and legs and also used medi honey. Taped the top and bottom and helped a lot.

March 22, 2021
A myALZteam Member

My husband is doing the same thing, picking at his arms all the time. I look forward to any suggestions but for now I just distract him and give him some lotion and he seems to forget for awhile. I guess I am more concerned about infection so I watch for that. Good luck everyone with the same problem and we can share our concerns.

October 14, 2023
A myALZteam Member

Similar here too: worked on word puzzle books but not anymore so hands idle: I'm looking for fidget spinner to keep hands busy... ??

October 12, 2023
A myALZteam Member

Yes: any little thing gets picked into a sore: hate to see it but gets mad if I mention.

October 10, 2023
A myALZteam Member

Thank you, Joyce. I neglected to include that my mother also picks at her face. She, too, always took pride in her skin---never went into the sun without protection, never smoked, always had her make up done perfectly. Now, she has sores and scabs on her face. The skin picking is a fairly common issue in Alzheimer's patients, but resolutions are pretty difficult to find. I would love to find (or invent) a type of lightweight glove that is extremely difficult to remove; a glove that would allow patients to perform their usual activities of daily living, but hinder them from using their fingernails to damage their skin.
Prayers for you and your Mary, as well.

March 13, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Newark, OH

A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
Sydney, AU

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In