Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myALZteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myALZteam Member asked a question 💭
West Chester, PA

The Nursing Unit manager suggested my mother could be moved from Memory Care to Long-Term Care within the same skilled nursing facility where she has spent the past 11 months. Mom is not a 'flight risk' (she is wheelchair bound) and 'at her stage' could be a good candidate for Long-Term Care. Mom is not aggressive, just the opposite, she cries a lot and can no longer talk coherently. Why am I just now hearing she would fit in better in Long-Term Care rather than Memory Care? What are they not… read more

January 27, 2021
 · 
Reactions
A myALZteam Member

I agree with Leslie above. I think as our lived ones become more physically infirm and less and less “in touch” cognitively, long term care is a way to focus on keeping them as comfortable as possible as they continue to decline. I don’t know if money is a concern at all but I believe long term care is much less expensive than focused memory care. I mention it because you seem to have some concerns about the facility advocating for something different. It would not be to their benefit to transfer her to a less expensive service, but it would be to your moms benefit. Talk with them openly about your concerns.

January 27, 2021
A myALZteam Member

I would also ask about the differences in services provided in each level of care.

January 28, 2021
A myALZteam Member

I agree with all. I believe at this stage in life, long term care would be most appropriate and helpful to your mom. God bless.

January 28, 2021
A myALZteam Member

Very good Answer Leslie

January 27, 2021
A myALZteam Member

Take an advocate to help you.

January 31, 2021

Related Questions

View All